About This Blog: Books and More

My name is Caroline, and I am a bookaholic. I discovered books at an early age, and they became my life. From the pages of this blog, I intend to share my passion for reading with you and I invite you to do the same.

Caroline, the Bookworm

As a very young child, I remember sitting underneath the kitchen table looking at the pictures in my children’s books and staring at the letters trying to figure out what they meant. I was so curious that I – much to my parents’ amazement – taught myself how to read before I even went to school.

Ever since, my life has not been the same. I have been consumed by the passion to read. I was a quiet child, and books became my best friends. Soon after I learned how to read, I had devoured all of my children’s books. Often, I would curl up in the nook beside the window in my parents’ bedroom and bury my nose in one of their books I secretly took. These were the most tranquil and joyous days of my childhood.

My Career

Somewhere along the lines of my favorite books, I also discovered I liked writing. So, I started scribbling the typical childhood diary. That was so much fun. I felt like having a best friend no one knows about; someone you can trust with your most sacred thoughts and emotions.

As I grew up, however, I started feeling the urge to have my words influence more people. This is how I began drafting poems, essays, and short stories. I sent them to my school newsletter and a few other local publications. To my surprise, I did not have to wait long. My writing appeared in several print media outlets throughout the state. Later on, a couple of national literary editions also featured my work.

This is what gave me the impetus to pursue a professional career in writing. I graduated from college with a degree in journalism. Initially, I worked as a news reporter. However, I soon discovered it was not my thing. Thus, I switched careers and started a job at a publishing house. During the day, I read new books and discovered unfamiliar writers. By night, I did freelance writing for a few literary magazines. Meanwhile, I was also working on my novel. I was living the life of my dreams.

I spent a few years in this blissful state when I realized I finally needed to get out of my comfort zone. I had just published my novel, and the reviews were mixed, so I was not feeling at my highest. My life needed a serious shift.

The Bookstore

After I gave it some thought, I quit my job in publishing and opened my own tiny bookstore, where everyone is welcome to grab a hot cup of black coffee and a bagel while browsing through the most exciting reads around. I am the one who singlehandedly makes the selection of the books we offer and the authors we feature. I have created a tiny, cozy, heartwarming place, where you can enter another dimension of imagination and creativeness and experience the beauty of words put into writing.

This Blog

The bookstore and the people who visit it inspired me to start writing this blog. It attempts to somehow recreate online this enticing, exhilarating physical space. I try to sprinkle the magic of the bookstore over the Internet and reach out to more people who share my appetite for reading. Contrary to what many think, reading is not a lonely pastime, and I intend to show it to you on the pages of this blog.