The Life and Passions of Zelda Fitzgerald, Part II: The Novel


book

The first years of Zelda Sayre’s marriage to famous writer F. Scott Fitzgerald were marked by a vivid social life and endless parties. Unfortunately, in time, Zelda’s mental and emotional health deteriorated, and in the winter of 1929, she tried to kill herself, her husband, and their 9-year-old daughter by driving off a cliff on a trip to Paris. Unexpectedly, however, this rueful accident gave her writing talent a push.

Writing as a Therapy

Following the accident, Zelda was diagnosed with schizophrenia and was consequently admitted to several psychiatric institutions. In February 1932, she entered the Phipps Clinic at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, where she had her treatment overseen by Dr. Adolf Meyer, a renowned expert on schizophrenia. Her recovery routine included spending at least two hours a day writing a novel.

Zelda took to the task with unexpected perseverance. She wrote every day and completed the manuscript in less than a month.

Save Me the Waltz

Zelda Fitzgerald finished her novel titled Save Me the Waltz on March 9, 1932. She sent the original manuscript to her husband’s prominent editor, Maxwell Perkins. Perkins was much surprised when he received it but nonetheless sat down to review the work. He concluded that the manuscript was somewhat of a “deranged quality” but still had a few good parts that could undergo a significant improvement.

Perkins suggested that F. Scott Fitzgerald help his wife advance her writing style. However, Scott was deeply upset by the manuscript. On one hand, he was very disappointed that Zelda did not show it to him before sending it to his editor. On the other, he was strongly disturbed by the fact that the novel drew obvious parallels to their married life.

The Plot

Zelda’s novel described the unhappy marriage of Alabama Beggs and David Knight. A jolly Southern belle, Alabama meets David when he is a US army officer during World War I, and the two of them get married. The 22-year-old soldier is stationed near the young girl’s hometown, but soon the war ends, and he goes on to become a wildly successful painter.

The young couple moves to the French Riviera so that David can pursue his art career. However, they quickly grow apart, and their marriage falls prey to infidelity. Alabama decides to escape her sorrow by pursuing her lifelong passion to become a ballerina.

Following a rigorous routine, she somehow manages to advance her dancing skills and is offered a place in a prestigious company in Naples. However, she suffers from blood poisoning caused by an infected blister and has to give up her career in ballet. Incapable of ever dancing again, Alabama returns home to her husband and daughter, and the three of them move back to the Deep South. The woman’s attempts to construct a meaningful life for herself fail, and she ends up trapped in a resentful marriage.

The Characters

It is quite obvious that the characters of Alabama Beggs and David Knight are based on the real-life personalities of Zelda and F. Scott Fitzgerald themselves. The parallels are so many that one cannot be mistaken. However, what is more interesting is how Zelda portrays herself through her protagonist.

Alabama is a vivacious, ambitious, and self-determined woman, who is not content with being a mere shadow of her famous husband. Just like the author, she is in constant seek of creative outlets to express her personality. Zelda spent most of her marriage with Scott trying to shine on her own and searching for meaningful ways to express herself. In her attempts, she took on the roles of a celebrated party hostess, dancer, painter, and writer.

The Repercussions

As we already mentioned, Scott was not thrilled with Zelda’s novel, to say the least. He reprimanded her and criticized her writing skills so harshly that he called her a “third-rate writer.” Nonetheless, Zelda did not give up writing and a few years later she started a new novel called Caesar’s Things.

However, Perkins did see a certain value in Save Me the Waltz and published the book in 3,010 copies on October 7, 1932. It sold in 1,392 copies, and the critics did not receive it particularly well.

The Legacy

Zelda spent the remaining years in and out of hospitals and sanatoriums. At some point, she took up painting. She had her work exhibited in 1934. Zelda’s painting was very prolific. She created over 140 illustrations and almost 100 paintings. Some of her most famous artworks include:

  • Puppeufee (The Circus)
  • Brooklyn Bridge
  • Marriage at Cana
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • The Pantheon and Luxemburg Gardens
  • Lobster Quadrille
  • The Queen’s Croquet-Ground
  • and many more.

Zelda’s mental health continued to deteriorate, and in August 1943, she returned to the Highland Hospital, where she continued working on Caesar’s Things. Unfortunately, on the night of March 10, 1948, a fire broke out while she was locked into a room, awaiting electroshock therapy. Zelda and eight other women tragically lost their lives.

Despite the heartbreaking ending to Zelda’s exuberant life, her legacy still stays with us. The talented author, painter, and dancer has inspired numerous contemporary creators. Her literary work and her paintings have been highly appreciated today.